Saturday, August 3, 2013

Art is subjective, yes?

We purchased some LOVELY pieces from an Estate this weekend...
the inhabitants were enamoured of all things French

Every room was full of French Provincial furnishings
and other lovelies

As you can imagine, I was having a hard time focusing...
who wouldn't?  

We worked out a deal on several pieces
and we were loading up the truck when Kenny said
"I'm surprised you don't want that painting of Paris"

UM...WHAT PAINTING OF PARIS?

This one:

Oh, I wanted it!  I just hadn't seen it...
I was too focused on furniture!

It's HUGE (at least 5ft wide)

After I bought it, I asked about it's history

Turns out, the owners parents had purchased the oil painted canvas
(minus a frame)
from a street artist when they were in Paris in the 1960's

Don't you LOVE that??  

Here are some details:





I just love the moody grey tones
and the watery, soft vibe of the painting

I have no idea if it has any value beyond aesthetic, 
but who cares, really...
I ADORE IT 

and I think I'm keeping it!  
(with a much cooler frame, of course!)

Not to be outdone,
Kenny came home with some original artwork of his own...
BEHOLD:




Now, before you say "oh Michele, it's not THAT bad"
allow me to point out...that is a CORD dangling down in the first photo
Yes, this picture LIGHTS UP



Yes, that is textured paint, too.
It's so kitschy, it's almost cool
ALMOST

And it is technically an original oil painting...
we can pretend the couple purchased it when they were in Venice
(but somehow I doubt it!)

Michele

6 comments:

  1. Lol tell Kenny I'm with him! Without having seen them in person, I totally dig his! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention it takes 48 tiny lightbulbs! And the cord dangling down just SCREAMS "classy", don't you think?

      Delete
  2. oooh i love them both! great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can hardly wait to see the Venice scene all lit up...LOL

      Delete
  3. I have a similar one to the first one that I purchased from a street artist in Paris too ( although yours is much larger ) just gorgeous!!!!!!!!
    What a lucky find for you!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine may be larger, but you got to PERSONALLY get yours from Paris! Now that is what I all LUCK!

      Delete