Friday, March 29, 2013

Happy Chic

I was walking through JC Penney today,
on my way into the mall to pay the cable bill
(yawn)
when THIS caught my eye

I think I ran down the escalator to have a closer look
It's lacquered AND it's vibrant blue!
What the heck is this doing at JCP?

I looked around...and gasped!

Jonathan Adler has a line at JCP
Say wha...

Behold the gorgeousness






I fully expected to find Ikea or Target quality furniture
(sure, it looks cute, but it's not exactly heirloom quality, right? 
None of that stuff will end up being the antiques of future generations...)
and I was pleasantly surprised to find nice craftsmanship 
 


The guys setting up the shop within the shop probably thought I was nuts
because I was flipping chairs upside down and crouching down to look underneath tables!

The price point reflects the quality, however...
The desk that had me swooning?
$900

This is a good thing, I think...
see, when mass-market stores like Ikea, Target, etc
 sell furniture or knock-offs of hand-made goods
(hello, Threshold, I'm talking to you!)
it gives the impression that this is what these things should cost
People who've never stepped foot into a high quality furniture store
see a desk at Ikea that looks darling and costs $199 and that becomes the barometer
of what a desk should cost

A mainstream store like JCP, which isn't what I would consider "high end" 
(I'd say it's pretty accessible for the average person, wouldn't you?)
is probably taking a big gamble with these price points,
but I think (I hope) it will introduce a wider audience to a higher quality,
 higher price point piece of furniture
that is meant to last...
Not to mention, GREAT style :0) 

I definitely see myself picking up more than a few accessories from this line...

Here is the link if you want to check it out for yourself...
 
I shouldn't be surprised, I guess...Sephora is now inside JCP, and lots of cool brands I like 
such as Buffalo and Mango are available there

What do you think? Are you surprised to see a traditionally inexpensive department store
carrying such an upscale product line?  


8 comments:

  1. I heard that JA was there, but hadn't seen it myself yet. So happy to hear he didn't spare quality and still kept some integrity with the price point and didn't go el cheapo! That is one of my biggest frustrations... when high end designers/decorators (*cough, cough* Nate Berkus) do these lower end lines, and make themselves seem so friendly for the every day consumer, but really no one could really afford their top of the line product or services.

    So I am happy that JA didn't sell out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete