Tuesday, October 21, 2014

a Buffet and a Box

I've been chasing down a buffet to paint for a few months now...
as usual, one turned up right down the street
(the best stuff always turns up close to home!)


Great bones, GORGEOUS wood on the drawers ad doors...
The top?  Not so much.


I used AHaH One Step Paint in Luxe Grey
with clear wax and Dust of Ages
Not a bit of distressing, yet it still looks wonderfully aged
Dust of Ages adds SO MUCH character and patina


I restored the drawers and doors
(I decoupaged inside the top drawer with antique sheet music 
but forgot to get a pic!)

The original hardware wears a distressed gold leaf finish

No, it was NOT fun painting that trim on the doors...
If I never have to do that again, it will be just fine with me!

I had the supplies out to decoupage,
so I decided to do a little experiment on a plain wood box




This was a fun project, and SO EASY!

I mixed 50% Elmers glue with 50% water
and applied to the box
then smoothed on the sheet music I had already cut to size
I then brushed the glue mixture over the top to seal and let it all dry
(about 30 minutes)

Next, the fun part...
I sanded the heck out of with a medium grit sanding block,
followed by clear wax mixed with Dust of Ages to create a weathered wax

the finish looks old and worn but feels like silk...
I forsee this treatment on something larger in the future!

These items can be found at 607 VINTAGE MARKETPLACE 

Thanks for stopping by!

Michele~

No comments:

Post a Comment